1.24.2012

My friend Darlene

Several months ago, I introduced you to my friend Darlene.  This summer, at the young age of 40, she was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer.  Since this, she has fought valiantly against this awful disease.  Late this fall, I was honored to do the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and participate on Team Darlene.

I have had several of you ask me how Darlene is doing.  So I wanted to give you an update.  Several weeks ago, she rang the bell signaling her last chemo treatment!  This past week, she had the surgery that generally follows breast cancer.  She is now at home recovering.

I am pleased to report the tumor and surrounding infected tissue was completely removed!  Praise God!  And Darlene is doing very well in her recovery at this stage in the game.  However, they did find one tiny spot of cancer in the first lymph node they removed.  This news was pretty difficult to swallow because we know this means there is the potential for more chemo treatments ahead.

However, we are thrilled that the cancer is now no longer in her body.  And her friends are ready to walk with her for the remainder of this journey no matter how long that is.  So, please continue your prayers for my sweet Darlene.  She has remained so joyful during this awful journey.  Pray for her family as they help her recover.

If you are interested, you can go to her Caringbridge site here to read more.

No comments: