11.02.2011

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

This past weekend, Jenna and I, along with about 60 of our close friends and THOUSANDS of others walked in support of those who are fighting or have fought breast cancer.
This isn't all of us.  Just the ones that were there early.  There was an "official" group picture and I can't wait to see it.
We walked as part of Team Darlene in honor of my friend Darlene who is battling breast cancer herself.  You can follow Dar's journey at her CaringBridge site.  She has 2 more chemo treatments left before her surgery.  She is doing very well although there are days I'm sure she feels like she isn't.
Jenna and I at the start!
It was in the 30s at 7am when we got there.  Jenna and I really bundled up, but by the time the race actually started, I was quite warm and took off all my outer layers.

Jenna and I ran about 1/4 of the race.  It was so crowded...we would run a few minutes and then we'd get stuck behind some people walking and so we'd have to stop.  We finished in about 50-55 minutes which is less time than I finished my last 5k in last December.


Darlene was able to be there and even completed the 1 mile run.  I was so proud of her.  I love this girl and all the friends who walked to support finding a cure for this awful disease.

No comments: