12.18.2009

5th Day of Christmas-Micah

Not to leave out any of my children, today is Micah's day!  I said a few words about her yesterday, but I wanted to say more about what she means to me.

Micah is the reason that Steve and I are together.  Many years ago when she was just a little girl, not much older than Jenna is now, she walked into my Sunday School class with her cousin Beth.  Because I had been at this church my entire life, I knew every child and each of their parents.  But Micah was new and I was instantly drawn to her.  Those of you who are teachers by trade or have ever taught a Sunday School or VBS class probably know what I'm talking about.  It's the kid that for some reason, you just have an instant connection to.  Now, I know that connection to Micah was divinely ordained.  Then, I had NO idea.

At any rate, Micah and I became very close.  VERY close.  Like I said earlier, she used to say, "I wish you could be my stepmother"...Micah was always very protective of Steve and I think she very much needed someone to watch out for him.  She is STILL very protective of Steve which makes her an excellent mother.

A couple years ago, Micah rocked our world (not the first time!) when she announced she was pregnant.  As most parents, we had concerns because while she wasn't a teen, she was still young (in our minds) and we didn't know how she would handle being a mother.

But can I tell you how she has blown our minds in what she's done?  First of all, she carried our sweet grandson, Gage, with little or no complaint.  She went through labor, had him and went home where she cared for him.  She didn't stay with us or her mom for weeks at a time.  She jumped right in and has turned out to be an excellent mother!  Not to mention while she was pregnant with Gage, she lost her job, but when he was about 2 months old, she decided to go get an education.  Now, she's a medical assistant at a peds office, no less.  She works full time and takes care of her boy.  Ask me how could a parent be any prouder?

She lives about an hour away from us, but we still see them fairly frequently and I cannot WAIT to see them on Christmas!  It's by far, my favorite time of year to be with them.  Gage is getting old enough now to understand Santa and gifts and it's going to be really fun.

And to Micah, I say...I love you.  You are the first "baby girl" I had and I've never gotten over the bond we forged when you were just a mere 10 years old.  I cannot WAIT to see what God has in store for you!

No comments: