12.14.2009

1st Day of Christmas-Steve

My 1st Day of Christmas post today is about my sweet husband, Steve.  To say I am fortunate to have found someone like Steve is an understatement.  I was very young when I met him.  For those that really know us, know that I was proably like THREE when we met for the really first time.  He went to school with my much older brother so we probably knew of each other from way back when.

But I was still fairly young when I met Steve.  I was 20...actually 19 because Steve came to my 20th birthday dinner.  I had been through some pretty awful times and my dad didn't really have much advice to give in the boy department.  Except, DON'T.  :)  Daddy would have been fine if I'd stayed at home with him for the rest of my life and his.  God had other plans.

I actually was semi-dating someone else at the time Steve and I met and so was Steve.  We were just friends because I'd gotten to know his daughter, Micah.  Actually, I was smitten with Micah. Micah used to say, "I wish you were my step-mom."   Ahhhhh....be careful what you wish for.  Anyway, there was a point in time where I'd stopped dating this other guy and Steve had broken up with his girlfriend.  I remember telling him, "God has someone special in mind for both of us".  And I'm sure if I had listened hard enough, I would have heard God laugh.  Oh, how my God has a special sense of humor.

Anyway, we started dating when I was 20 and he was 35.  We got engaged on my 21st birthday and married just shy of my 22nd.  13 1/2 years later and we have weathered some pretty tough times.  The last couple years have been harder than we could have ever imagined.  But I could not have done it without him by my side.

And now, as we celebrate our 15th Christmas together, I'm thankful that God put this man and his children into my life.  I know I didn't deserve him (still don't).  But I'm glad that God gives us what He knows we need, not what we deserve.

I love you Steve.  Here's to another 15 Christmases!

No comments: