11.07.2010

18 Years

18 years ago I was 18 years old (quick calculation will tell you how old I am). 

18 years ago, my world was changed forever.

18 years ago, the mother who had raised me died.

And 18 years later, it sometimes still feels like yesterday.  I remember that cold November day.  It was a Saturday.  We knew It was coming.  We were waiting for It.  They said she had about a week left.  It had been 6 days.

She died about 11am. Rachel was there.  My home church pastor (who has since joined my mother) was there.  Rachel's mom, a nurse and one of my mom's best friends was there.

And just like that...she was gone.

But life has moved on.  I can't believe it's been 18 years.  I have lived WITHOUT my mother as long as I lived WITH her.

For those of you who still have your mother, mother in law or stepmother...tell them you appreciate and love them. 

Because there are women like me who would give ANYTHING to trade places with you.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I am constantly reminded of the blessing that my mom is in my life!

Praying for you. Your mom used those 18 years to prepare you to be the wonderful mom you are today.