8.06.2012

A Sleep Update (asleep or a sleep?)

If you are on FB, you might have noticed we've had some sleep challenges with Kylie over the past 2 weeks.  And when I say challenges, I mean, the lack of being able to stay asleep during the night.  Which also means no one else in the house was getting any kind of normal rest.

And because we weren't getting normal rest, we weren't being normal ourselves.  Finally, at our breaking point, we went to the doctor on Friday.  She confirmed there was no ear or sinus infection or anything else physical causing the issue.  On to plan B.

We have been doing things a little differently at our house.  Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, has an opinion about how to get your child/baby/infant/toddler to sleep and everyone is pretty adamant that their way is the right way.

We have taken a new approach for Kylie and so far, it seems to be working well.  But because we are only a few days into it, I am not going to lay it out for you here.  What I will tell you is that I slept in Jenna's room Friday and Saturday nights and made Steve turn off the monitor so he could catch up on sleep.  We all got at least 7 hours of pretty good sleep both nights.  Last night I slept in my own room with the monitor off and got a full 7 hours.  So right now, it's working.  Steve called this morning and said he was happy, Kylie was happy and playing independently and everyone was just way happier.  So while our approach might not be for everyone, it certainly seems to be working for our family right now.  Time will tell though.

Thanks for all the well wishes and words of encouragement.  When you are so fatigued you can't see straight, those are what gets you through.  Just know, if you are going through this, there's no ONE way to deal with it.  And know also that you are NOT alone. 

And to prove that she DOES sleep every once in a while...

3 comments:

brook said...

you do whatever you need to do. lol. a year later, and olivia still sleeps in our room. going to bed at night is still something we struggle with. it is what it is. :)

brook :)

Jasmine said...

I had some pretty strong views on getting your child to sleep with my first child who practically came home from the hospital sleeping through the night. Those all went out the window with the 2nd child who NEVER slept. I learned one VERY important lesson - you do what you have to do to get some sleep! My 2nd child is 11 now and sleeps like a champ, but that didn't start until he was about 4 and a half.
Glad you found something that works for you.

Brigitte said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile now, and enjoy reading about Kylie and Jenna! Such sweet and beautiful Lil Ladies you have. I am a mom of 4 Lil Ladies, and my youngest is 3 months. I miss sleep so much, and to even sleep 3 hours straight would be wonderful. I hope that Kylie gets back on her schedule soon!! :)