11.09.2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 9

Today I am thankful for my son Chase.
Like with Micah, I met Chase when he was a wee one.  Around 6 years old, I think.  For years, I thought Chase could take me or leave me.  As in, he was cool that I was around, but I always thought he'd be cool if I wasn't.  What I have learned is that he is just that kind of laid back.  When Jenna was born, Micah was enamoured and in love, Chase was like "Meh.  Does she do anything other than eat, sleep and cry??"  (Let it be said that Jenna loves both of them like nuts now!)

Chase was very good at arguing and I'm a little surprised he didn't end up as a lawyer.  He'd certainly make a good one!!

Anyway, several years ago, Chase was working a job near me and we were having lunch one day when he said, "I don't want to work a $10/hr job the rest of my life."  My advice to him was, "Then you need to do what you have to do NOW, while you have few responsibilities, to ensure you don't HAVE to work a $10/hr job for the rest of your life."

A few weeks later he joined the Marine reserves and went off to boot camp.  I was terrified for him, but he blew through boot camp like a champ.  After training, he came home and got a job as a mechanic.  Fast forward a few years and he now runs his own tire/battery store here in the area.  And yes, I'm proud to report the boy probably makes 12454 times what I do for a salary.  I'm hoping for a real nice Christmas present this year.  :)
At any rate, I love this boy more than I thought possible.  And I love talking to him.  I'm so proud of him.

I am thankful.

No comments: