11.23.2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 23

Today I'm thankful for my neighbors.

For 30+ years of my life, I lived in the same house in the same neighborhood and in the same city.  We had good neighbors for the most part, but we would not call them close.

In 2005, we moved to the town we currently live in.  The day we closed on this house, we drove out here to look around and just let it soak in that it was OURS.

We'd not even been here for 5 minutes when there was a knock on the door.  It was our neighbor Aimee welcoming us to the neighborhood!

Since that time, Aimee and her husband have become dear friends to us.  She always treats our girls special at Halloween and she was the first house Kylie trick or treated at!
Not only them, but Jenna has grown to be dear friends with the sweet girl who lives across the street.  At this current time, I have literally 100s of photos of them together that she has taken.  The sweetie is one of the most kind, respectful child I have ever been around.  The girls spend a LOT of time together which makes me happy because Grey is a good influence on Jenna and because I NEVER had that in my neighborhood growing up.  I don't even have to think about it when Jenna asks if she can come over.  She is ALWAYS welcome and trust me, in this day and age, that isn't normally the case. For real, this is going to be one of those friendships where if either of us move away, life is going to be heartbreaking for a while.

Directly next door to us is our Chinese neighbor, Ping, who has become a very integral part of our lives since she is familiar with Chinese culture.  I wish I had a photo of her, but I don't.  However, she is the ONLY Chinese person Kylie will have anything to do with. We've enjoyed having Ping around...she translates some of our Chinese documents and has even treated us to dinner (OH. MY. WORD.  Authentic Chinese food...yes please!)

Another neighbor couple has recently joined our church.  They show up at our door randomly with a gift for Kylie or sweets.  They watch our house when we travel and we return the favor.

We are so blessed with good neighbors.  Our favorite times are the days where it seems everyone is in their yards hanging out.  July 4 finds most everyone in the streets shooting fireworks.  Spring finds them grilling out.  Fall finds them around fire pits.  Winter finds them sledding and building snowmen.

I never thought I'd live in an area like this.

So, today, I'm thankful.

No comments: