2.14.2012

Valentine's Love

I'm copying this from my WBFF Katelyn's blog and she copied it from here.  You've gotta read Katelyn's blog because I think it might be one of my favorite posts she's done.  It's sweet and funny and just worth a quick read.  Plus, she'll love me forever if all my bloggy friends go visit her blog too!

Anyway, I thought it was a cute idea and since I'm currently out of things to say while we are waiting for China to say it's OK to come and get Kylie, I thought I'd shake things up about and write about something NON adoption related.  GASP.

So, for those of you who don't know us well and for those that could repeat this story themselves, here's OUR love story...

How long have you and your significant other been together? 
We'll celebrate 16 years of wedded bliss on June 1, 2012.  Our "official" date was July 24, 1994.  That was the day we first kissed. And yes, I really did make the first move.  As in typical male fashion, he wasn't picking up on my signals, so I just made it easy for him. :)  We were engaged on my 21st birthday and married a year later right before I turned 22. Yes.  I was young.  But I'd aged many years since my mom died in 1992. 

Yes, this was pre-engagement and pre-digital camera.  Gah.
How did you meet? {What's your "love story"?}
Love it or hate it, we met because of Steve's older daughter, Micah.  I began teaching 3rd and 4th grade Sunday School at my home church and because it was my home church, I knew everyone and everyone knew me.  Except I didn't know this cute bob-haired girl in my class.  She just showed up one day with her cousin.  I didn't understand it then, but I was drawn to her unlike any other child.  When I began to research who she was she told me her dad was the new drummer at the church.  A-ha!  I now made the connection.  So as Micah and I got closer, I started recruiting her daddy to help in the children's department.  Mind you, I was 19 about to turn 20 at the time we met.  Steve was 35, so it certainly could have turned scandalous once we started dating.  I'm not even exaggerating when I say that I loved Steve's kids long before I loved him.  I never thought Chase liked me much, so I worked hard to ensure that he did!  I never imagined my future spouse as being divorced with two kids, but I would not have it any other way.  I love Micah and Chase (and now Gage, Micah's son) in a way I never imagined was possible with children not born of my own body.  But it's true.  And once I was hooked on the kids, it didnt' take long for me to get hooked on Steve.  And well, I think he liked me a little too.  :)

If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? 
I covered this above, but yes, we are married...happily.  Going on 16 years.  And if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.


Do you have any nicknames you call one another?
Well, yes, I call him "honey" a lot or "hon".  I think he calls me "baby" occasionally.  Honestly, as unromantic as it seems...I think we are past the nicknames stage. 

Name three things you love most about your honey?
Only 3?  I love the way Steve loves me unconditionally.  I am a far cry from being a perfect anything, wife being the top of that list.  But you know what?  Steve overlooks it all.  But more than that, he loves God more than me.

I love the way Steve shows his love for me.  Things that most people wouldn't think about...like how many times he has filled my van up with gas unbeknowst to me.  I'll get in the van and get all flustered remembering that I have to go and get gas and look down and there's a full tank.  That means more to me than flower or candy or anything else he can buy me.

I love what a great father he is.  He'll be the first to admit he's not perfect, but I SEE the difference he is making in Jenna's life.  I saw how he tried to make a difference in his older kids' lives when they were younger and how proud he is of how they have turned out.  And I see him being a huge influence in Kylie's life.  Kids need the love and acceptance of a father.  But most of all, they need a father's presence.  And even though not working isn't Steve's first choice, his availability to Jenna has increased tremendously and that is not something most dad's can say.

Source
 Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day or strawberries, champagne and rose petals?
He's a flower and candy for me, but teddy bear and candy for Jenna.  After 16-18 Valentine's days, we are really lucky to exchange cards.

Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl or a pop in a movie and relax on the couch kind of girl? 
Totally relaxing at home kind of girl.  I don't think Steve and I have ever been a super outgoing couple.  We've always enjoyed being at home together.  We do like the occasional movie and dinner for sure.  But both of us would prefer staying home to going out most nights.  Yes, I know it screams "old married couple", but I'm embracing our oldness.

Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant other one day. 
I want to take him to New York City at Christmas.  I have been to NYC but not at Christmas and Steve has never been.  I just think it would be super neat to take a long weekend to see all the sights there.  I don't want to be there literally ON Christmas...just during the holidays some time.  So if there is anyone who wants to treat us to that gift, feel free!  Oh, and I'd also like to spend about 2 weeks in Hawaii.  That one is more for me though. 

Tell us what you plan to do this v day? 
I'm working and Steve is at home.  Just like any other day.  We exchanged cards and gifts this morning.  He'll have dinner on the table when I get home and we'll eat and sit on the couch.  Told you we were stay-at-home kinda people!

Are you asking for anything this valentine's day? 
Nope.  Just that we are together is enough.  Such a cliched answer and one that I used to roll my eyes at, but somewhere along the way, it's become true.  Just being with him is enough.

Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
Other than putting God smack dab in the center of your marriage?  Putting the other person first in everything you do and think.  Easy to write, SO hard to put into action.

Show us a picture of what love means to you.
Source

1 comment:

Katelyn Burkhart said...

awe, love it! :)