3.09.2011

Saving with Coupons

Since Steve lost his job about 18 months ago, I've really stepped up my couponing.  Because of my busy schedule, I have taken to making a monthly menu and doing one big shopping trip per month.  I do have to go grocery shopping in between times to get a few staples, but mostly, I go one time a month and that's it.

Now, most coupon experts will tell you it's harder to save money when you shop less frequently but I've managed to still save money here and there.

Sunday, after I got back from scrapbooking, I sat down to catch up on my coupon clipping and make my menu and grocery list.  Steve kindly said he'd go to the grocery on Monday, but I decided to run a few places just to get the sale items.

Thought I might share my savings with you so those of you who have been contemplating couponing might be encouraged to try (or those that have been "off the horse" can get back on".

At CVS, I bought 4-12 pack of Pepsis, 4 packs of gum, 2-6 packs of Boost and a 40 count Advil liqui-gels.  The Pepsis netted me a $3 ECB (extra care bucks), I had coupons for all the gum, the Boost was buy one get one 1/2 off AND I had a coupon and I had a $2 coupon for the Advil.  In the end, I spent $29 before tax and saved $19 which was a total of  37.45%.

Then at Publix I bought Ritz crackers, popcorn, Pepsi and soup.  All on sale or BOGO and I had coupons for all.  I spent $29 before tax, saved $26, for a total savings of 47.37%.

Finally, at Kroger, I bought Tide, Downey, Secret deoderant (3), Fiber One bars, Toaster Strudel, Pantene, Bounty paper towels, and Charmin.  I had e-coupons and regular coupons for everything.  I spent $25.  I saved $36.  That's a whopping savings of 62%!! 

So all in all, I saved $90 and spent $83.  I think that's a pretty good day!

No comments: