9.30.2011

This is NOT a Food Blog

I cannot recall ever blogging about making food on here before.  It's just not what I do.  I do cook.  Not as frequently as I used to because Steve cooked most nights when he was at home and now he always beats me home.  But yesterday I got to leave work a little early, so I picked Jenna up from school (a rare treat indeed!) and had dinner nearly ready for the table when Steve got home.

All that to say, since I had a few extra hours in my afteroon/evening, I thought I'd document one of my favorite meals ever.  If it tells you anything (and it probably doesn't), even Micah loves this meal...

My mom first made it when I was a young teenager and my family and I have been eating it ever since...

MEXICAN CASSEROLE

First, you brown some hamburger meat (yeah, "some", whatever.  I just buy a package.)
OK, it's probably about 1 1/3lbs.  And it's Laura's Reduced Fat.  I started using this kind a while back...it has very very little fat and I can't stomach the regular kind now.  Once it's brown, theres very little grease left over.  However, you do want to drain what IS there.

Then, take your favorite tortilla chips...
These are the Kroger brand white corn tortilla, but Steve's fixed this with Doritos before and it was yum...I'm sure with all the different flavored tortilla chips available, you could really spruce this up if you are a little adventurous in the kitchen.

Crumble up some of these chips and line the bottom of a casserole dish with them.

Then, you mix all the ingredients together.  Do what?  Oh, I didn't mention the other ingredients?  Well, here they are...
1 can of diced tomatoes drained (I use very few of these because we like the flavor but not the big chunks), 1 can of chili beans, 1 can of cream of chicken soup and chili pepper to taste.  And don't forget the shredded cheese.  I think the recipe calls for a cup but I LOVE cheese so I basically use the whole bag (yep, that's like 2 cups).  Leave a little of the shredded cheese to go on top...
Put the casserole in the oven on 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour and...
YUM!

No comments: