5.28.2009

News to Share

Some of you know, I'm a blog-ho. Really, I read A LOT of blogs. There have been two this week that have really impacted me and I'd like to share them with you.

Many of you already read MckMama's blog and if you don't, let me tell you, you are MISSING out. She is hilarious and has a tremendous testimony. One of her MSC (many small children...you'll understand this if you read her blog) we have been praying for...see that button for Stellan on my blog? Yep, that's MckMama...check out her latest post...you'll be really glad you did. And if you spend any time on her blog you'll get hooked. I promise.

Another blog that has more recently been added to my roll is Stuff Christians Like. Again, Prodigal Jon is HI-LARIOUS! But yesterday's post was definitely something to think about. I encourage you to read it...

Several of you have asked for updates on my dad. We went to visit for a bit on Monday and he was doing about the same. Sleeping when we got there but Bertie had been able to get a few bites of peaches down him and about 3/4 cup of water. She had pulled back on the high dosages of sedation in hopes that he would stay calm but be more alert. She took Jenna to the grocery store while we were there because she is his caregiver almost 24/7 and almost doesn't ever have time to do these things. I sat by his bedside the whole time holding his hand and occasionally talking to him. At one point, I thought that I would feel much better if he'd just open his eyes and be able to see me (you know, really SEE me) and say "I love you" one more time. I had bowed my head to pray this prayer when I felt the tears start welling in my eyes. No matter how old you are or what your relationship, I don't think you are ever ready to lose a parent. I know that Daddy isn't perfect, but in the end, he was MY Daddy and I love him despite his faults and imperfections. Afterall, isn't that what we are called by God to do? None of us are better than the other. We are all sinners in need of Grace.

Anyway, I digress. While I was praying, I looked up at his face and his eyes were open! And I could tell they weren't just open, but they were aware. I started talking to him and while he is nowhere near being able to carry on a conversation, he was able to ask for some water. We got him some water and he drank another 3/4 cup and finished nearly ALL the peaches I fed him. He continued to be aware and recognized Steve and Jenna (when she got back from the store). When we went to leave, I hugged him, kissed him and told him that I loved him. And he told me that he loved me too...which lets me know that he was really understanding. He smiled several times at all of us. I left feeling much better than when I arrived.

I talked with Bertie yesterday and she said he'd had a rough night and really rough morning. He was agitated, having a very difficult time breathing even while laying down and in some amount of pain. Last night, the update was much of the same except he wasn't nearly as agitated as before. Let me tell you, lung disease is not a pretty way to die. You basically suffocate to death but very slowly. It's definitely a cruel disease. So to all of you smokers out there, I beg you to kick the habit NOW. DO NOT make your family watch you slowly suffocate to death. And just because you think it won't happen to you doesn't mean it won't.

Off my soapbox now...

Thanks for your prayers and comments. I have had some ultra-sweet comments about memories of my mom and dad from friends and they bring such comfort to me. We still have no idea how long he will be with us, but I am enjoying every minute that I can.

Until later....

1 comment:

Christy said...

My favorite memory of your dad was the time he drove us home from somewhere in the back of the police car. It was so much fun pretending to be "the bad guys," but it definitely made me realize I would never really like it. Praying for you!