8.15.2010

Vacation...Day 7

Thursday was our last full day at Amelia Island, so we wanted to spend as much time on the beach as we could.  We got up, had breakfast and headed out.  It was a beautiful day.  You could go out very far from the shore and still be only up to your ankles in water.  We found a huge shell and a sand dollar!

Being that it was Shark Week on the Discovery channel, sharks were on my mind and so I had my eyes open for those and didn't venture too far out.  But I wanted to see how far out I could walk before the water got too high.  I was probably about 100 feet from Jenna walking out when I saw a fin go right through the water no more than 50 yards from where I was standing.  I'll admit...I kind of panicked!  I didn't scream, I just started heading back towards Jenna to herd her in to shore as fast as possible, all the while walking backwards and keeping my eyes on the water.  About the time I reached Jenna, I saw it again...this time it surfaced and I could see it was clearly a dolphin!  Actually, there were 2 of them swimming together.  I showed Jenna and she was ecstatic!  We watching them until they were far away and then saw them both jumping completely out of the water!  It was a great way to end our vacation!


We ended up bringing our cooler to the beach and eating lunch out there.  Finally we came in. We had dinner reservations at 7:00 so we decided to do a little more sighting on the resort.  We went to the Nature Center which was really neat.  They have a pond out back and there were turtles and you could feed them.  Katie especially liked them!
After the Nature Center, we wanted to see more of the resort that wasn't in walking distance and this is the way we did it!

We all took turns driving (well, except Jenna, she wasn't allowed!) and there were some beautiful places for sale and rent.  One of these days when I'm rich (ha!), I'm going to own a place on the beach!  I have officially decided I don't want to live there because living there doesn't make it as special as when you only get to go every once in a while.

After riding around for a couple hours, we headed back to the room to get cleaned up for dinner at The Verandah.  It was a great dinner and we had the most delicious dessert.  Some kind of grilled bananas in caramel in a tulip type cup. Oh my word it was a delight!

Back at the room, we started packing up to leave the next morning.  Check out on Friday was at 11:00 and we got out about 10:00 I guess.  We didn't stop 1/2 way coming back the way we did when we were going.  We got home about 7 or 8pm and got all unpacked and the house straightened up before we went to bed.  I had done the laundry before we left, so it was all clean...best thing EVER!!!

We lazed around on Saturday...did a few errands, ate out etc.,  Jenna registers for school on Wednesday and then 1/2 day on Thursday and full day on Friday.  I'm supposed to have this whole week off of work, but I might be going in a couple days just to save up on my PTO for my South Africa trip...

I'm glad to be home, but I sure am gonna miss this place!

No comments: