1.04.2009

Resolutions? Not for me...

I used to make new years' resolutions.

But last year, I decided why bother? I never kept all of them...well, I really never kept any of them to be honest. Last year, I decided to make several life changes. This year, I have a couple of goals to go along with my life changes (which incidently, aren't over once the year is done).

This year, my goals are:

1) To read the Bible through again (using my Chronological Bible which I HIGHLY recommend).
2) To participate in AND FINISH the Music City 1/2 Marathon
3) To take part in the Beth Moore Siesta challenge for 2009 and memorize two scriptures a month (see below for more on this)
4) To pay off Steve's hip!
5) To spend more time with our parents.

To elaborate on each of the above (because I'm sure everyone else is as interested in me as I am!)

1) Last year my friend Leigh Ann (whose blog link is to the right of this post) recommended the Chronological Bible. It's a "read-the-Bible-through-in-a-year" Bible and I was skeptical that it was any easier to get through that the others I've used in the past. But I bought it anyway and got it in the New Living Translation to help in understanding. Well, I can't sing it's praises enough. This Bible puts scripture in order that it happened (or is thought to have happened) which really tied things together for me. I can't tell you the number of times that scripture literally came alive for me as I read because I understood it all in context. If you have never read the Bible all the way through, I highly recommend you get this. You aren't that far behind and you can really start it anytime of the year.

2) I don't think this really needs an explanation. I'm determined to start and finish this race and hopefully in the meantime lose a little more weight. I lost almost 20 pounds in 2008 but have gained at least 5 of that back over the last several months. My training for the marathon was supposed to start tomorrow, but this evening, my neighbor, Aimee, called and asked if I was up for a walk. I was. So in the pouring rain (OK, it was more like a light mist, but after 30 minutes in it, it might as well have been pouring rain!), we walked our 1+mile through the neighborhood. YAY for me. YAY for us! Speaking of the marathon, Steve might be joining me. He's going to call the orthopedist tomorrow to see if it is feasible for him to walk the 1/2.

3) Follow the link above to read more about this. In a nutshell, Beth is challenging all her blog readers (affectionately dubbed "Siestas") to memorize 2 scriptures a month. One on the 1st and one on the 15th. I got 2 spiral bound index card sets. One for work and one to carry around with me. And here is the first scripture I chose to memorize (this is, by the way, by memory, so excuse any typos or errors if it's not exactly right...) "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength. You must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to the commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home, when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up." Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (NLT). I have promised to not allow myself to use any of the old excuses..."I can't memorize", "I don't have time"...anymore. I can do this and need to do this. Will you do it with me? I can guarantee if you will commit, it will change your life.

4) Between Steve's multiple kidney stone surgeries and hip replacement, we've run up quite the medical tab. I've been paying $50 a month per bill (doctor, orthopedist, hospital, anesthesiologist, physical therapy etc.) since about June. I paid the first one of these off (PT) last week and so I feel like I'm seeing an end in site. I want to pay these babies off and get some cash flowing in our budget again.

5) If you've read my previous posts, this will make sense to you. I know that most likely a year from now, the dynamics of my family (both Jetts and Taylors) will look drastically different. I want to try and make it a priority to find time to spend with each set of parents. Special note: Mary came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon. We went to see her today, but she was resting, so we didn't stay long. It's nice to see her home even though her home now resembles a hospital room. Pray for Bill (my father in law) and Deanne (my sister in law) as they become primary caregivers for Mary. Having gone down this life's path 16 years ago, I can tell you, it is one of the hardest jobs imaginable.

So those are my goals for 2009. I can tell you that I'm already behind in my devotional (Chronological Bible) reading. I took it to work on the 2nd to read during lunch (which I did NOT) and then I let them on Friday when I left (oops!), but like a good friend of mine says, "There's no condemnation!", so I just decided to use another Bible to get caught up.

OK, that's enough for today. I had a Diet Coke and Large Mocha Java Chiller (thanks Deanne and Johnny!) tonight with dinner, so chances of me going to bed soon are slim to none. I think I'll play a little guitar hero and then hit the sack. Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow! Last day before back to the grindstone!

No comments: