7.29.2011

Walkin' in Memphis

Several weeks ago, my little family took a weekend jaunt to Memphis.  I've of course been there before, but never did all the Memphis stuff you do as a tourist.

We went there because Steve's bowling league was in the finals so we went there for a tournament.  Unfortunately, they didn't win, but it was a great time anyway.
That is Steve's brother in law, Bob and sister Deanne in the middle  Deanne was one of the first to find out Steve and I were dating and despite our age differences encouraged us.  She is also the one going with me to China.  I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to it.  I have always enjoyed being around her and I think she will be the best traveling companion outside of Steve.  Plus, if Jenna gets to go, Deanne won't hesitate to parent her when I have my hands full.  And I definitely need someone who is not afraid to put Jenna in her place!  LOL!  Anyway I digress.

Jenna was anxious to go swimming in the pool at the hotel.  We barely had enough time but Jenna managed to get an hour or two in the pool while Steve was practicing on Friday night after we arrived.
We had Saturday morning free before the tournament on Saturday so we took that opportunity to pick up a friend of Jenna's from school who had moved over Christmas break last year.  It was so nice for them to get to see each other!

Our first stop was the Peabody Hotel to see the ducks.  I'll have to admit, I was a tiny bit disappointed in what that turned out to be.  I did like that they kept people from standing around in front of you while you were trying to watch.

Even though it was hot as the blazes, we took a short walk up the street to go somewhere I had NEVER gone before...
It's not quite the same as what I'm sure it looks like at night, but I was glad to have gotten to do it.
After the tournament (which was very close BTW), we went to the other team's bowling banquet and had dinner.  It was fun and we won lots of door prizes.  We got up pretty early on Sunday so we could be back in time for a church luncheon.  It was a good weekend and we definitely needed the time away.  Jenna got to see her friend and I got to go somewhere I'd never gone before.  The best part was, the league paid for the trip, so we were only out some gas and dinner money!

No comments: