10.10.2008

I figured it was about time for an update on us.

Quickly...Jenna's infection is nearly gone. Just a little dark dot where it used to be. Still on antibiotics oral and topical and we go back in to see the doctor on Monday to be sure we are all good. I developed the same thing (remember the one on my back?!) the day after Jenna had hers drained. Of course, if I thought the one on my back was in an inconvenient place, the current one really takes the cake! And that's all I've got to say about that. Feel free to let your imagination run wild.

Anyway, I called the doctor on Monday and the soonest they could see me was today, so I took the appointment. On Tuesday, I called the pediatrician to let her know about mine and she said Jenna's culture came back as staph and I think she said it was MRSA. For those not in healthcare, MRSA is basically a super-bug. Normal antibiotics have no effect on it. You have to use the heavy duty drugs. Luckily, being that we have the best pediatrician in the world ("we"?), she anticipated that and gave Jenna the super antibiotic that will work on MRSA infections. But I digress...so, by Wednesday of this week, I didn't think I should wait any longer, so I went to the clinic/nurse practitioner in our office. (We actually have a full fledged clinic AND pharmacy here) and she took a look (due to the location, God bless her) and she decided given the history it was best to drain it and send it off to culture. Fun. It was painful, but bearable because she got most of the infection out and that helps with the pain. Anyway, we'll know soon if it's just an infection or MRSA, but to be sure she also gave me the super-antibiotic.

For those of you germ-freaks, this is not contagious just by being around us. You would have to basically touch an open wound on us and then one on yourself. Not that unusual with a mother and daughter but unlikely for our acquaintances. So that's that on the medical side.

As an update on Steve, bless him...he's just hanging in there with me. I have had the worst medical year this year than in my entire 34 years. He's actually doing pretty good. His service dog training was moved from April 2009 to July 2009. We were a bit disappointed, but July is a better month to be gone from work and Jenna will be out of school etc., so we agreed. We still haven't reached our financial goal yet, but we are working on it.

Now, for an update on my dad. As you know, he went back to the hospital...well it will have been 2 weeks ago this coming Sunday. This past Tuesday, he was transferred to a skilled nursing facility. They intend to keep him just long enough to get him strong enough to get around and retrain those muscles that have gone to sleep since the catheter has been in.

Things haven't gone quite as well as they anticipated. First of all, we discovered he was overmedicated and was sleeping too much. Bertie had those meds stopped and that was OK for a while, but last night they called and said they were going to draw blood to check liver and kidney function and red blood cell count. Those results should be back this morning. So, that's where we are at the moment. I'll post more when I know more.

I am totally looking forward to the weekend.

No comments: