5.02.2010

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head...and Thanks....

Well, it's still raining here in Nashville...Right now in the Hill, it is still coming down hard.  There is a forming lake in my neighbor's yard, but hopefully it will stay far down the hill from us.  I never have feared flooding much, until now.

I have watched hours of news footage and you would not believe the flooding...I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't seeing it with my own eyes.  We drove around yesterday afternoon while it wasn't raining as hard and even in our area, there are many flooded areas and washed out streets and driveways.  I just found out that Centennial Hospital is under 3 feet of water.  Almost every interstate is closed at some point.  This is unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

Has anyone else noticed that the world has experienced almost every natural disaster in the space of about 6 months time?  Earthquakes, flooding, volcanic activity, tornadoes etc.  It's a little freaky if you ask me.

Of course, yesterday afternoon, Jenna and I ventured out in the virtual monsoon to buy groceries.  Because you know...we're crazy like that.  We visited CVS, Walgreens, Publix and Kroger.  And we got wet.  Anyway, on our way out, I drove past the mailbox and grabbed the mail because I knew no one was going to be walking out to get it.  I just threw it in the passenger seat and drove on.  When we got to the first stop (Walgreens), I decided to get all my coupons together so I could jump out as quickly as possible.  I flipped quickly through the mail and that's when I saw it...

Someone reading is smiling to themselves right now because they know what's coming next.  I "recognized" the handwriting immediately.  I put recognized in quotes because the writing really is unrecognizable.  It is very obviously written awkwardly to keep us from knowing the author.  But it was the same writing as the first time we saw it.  It was a card...with not only another $100 gift card to Kroger, but also a $25 card to BP.  I was once again humbled and thankful.  God has used someone to teach not only Steve and I about provision, but also Jenna.  She was with me and immediately started shouting, "Is it another one?  Is it another one?  Open it!  Open it!"

I don't know who this person (people) is (are), but if you are reading, "THANK YOU".  Through your generosity, God is teaching us about letting go of the control and trusting Him.  I have started  "pay it forward" list so that sometime after Steve gets a job and we get back on our feet, we can begin thanking people by paying it forward to someone else in need.  And I am so anxious to get started!  So many generous friends have stepped up to help us out.

So, while the rain comes down (and yes, it's still coming down), I'm counting my blessings.

"There shall be showers of blessing:
This is the promise of love;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
Sent from the Savior above.

Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need:
Mercy drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

There shall be showers of blessing,
Precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys,
Sound of abundance of rain.

There shall be showers of blessing;
Send them upon us, O Lord;
Grant to us now a refreshing,
Come, and now honor Thy Word.

There shall be showers of blessing:
Oh, that today they might fall,
Now as to God we’re confessing,
Now as on Jesus we call!

There shall be showers of blessing,
If we but trust and obey;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
If we let God have His way."

Words: Dan­i­el W. Whit­tle, 1883; first ap­peared in Gos­pel Hymns No. 4.
Music: James Mc­Gran­a­han

No comments: