2.07.2010

Insomnia Blogging

For the first time in forever, I have insomnia.  I haven't really slept at all yet.  I know it's almost 5am and now I wonder what's the point?  I had a diet Coke for dinner at 5:30, but dang...it must have been potent because I haven't even felt the slightest bit tired.  I guess I finally got out of bed at 3:30am.  I finished up my Bible study, spent some much needed time in the Word, folded some clothes and am now on to internet surfing.  I usually never have trouble sleeping.  Whatever.

So, what is on my mind at 5am in the morning?  Bear with me...there's going to be quite a bit of randomness to this post and who knows whether any of it will make sense.  I mean, I feel wide awake, but I'm sure upon reading this tomorrow (today!) it will seem like a bunch of stream of consciousness blogging.  :)

Random thought #1:  What about all that snow in DC?  Did you see where someone had organized a snowball fight online?  Like 100 people showed up.  Very cool.  I know most of you will think I'm crazy nuts, but I hope we get one more good snow.  Typically, I can tell when my snow-meter is full and it's not yet.  I think if we could get one more good snow...you know...enough to play in, I'd be done and we could move on with Spring. 

Random thought #2:  I think I'm going to buy a sewing machine very soon.  Maybe even when I get done with this post.  My mother could sew anything.  She could hem pants, make dresses etc.  I never thought much of it as a kid or teenager, but now I think it's ultra-cool and wish my Mom had lived long enough for me to learn from her.  Bertie is a practical seamstress. I mean, that woman amazes me with the doll clothes she makes.  Once upon a time she was going to teach me to sew.  But life got in the way and now we live far enough from her that it really wouldn't be convenient seeing as that it's going to take multiple visits to learn.  My friend Carrie is probably the craftiest person I know and has got me fixated on having a sewing machine of my own.  I inherited a sewing machine from my mother in law, but it was about as old as she was and there's no instruction manual and none that I can find online.  JoAnn's has sewing classes and they aren't very expensive.  The sewing machine I have my eye on isn't either.  A few weeks ago, my friend Katelyn and I made dream boards (think I posted about that here) and a sewing machine was on mine.  Who knows...if we have an extra $100 this month, maybe I'll get one.

Random thought #3:  The other thing I'm currently obsessed with is saving money with coupons.  My friends Darlene and Carrie (there she is again!) turned me on to this and I'm ADDICTED!  I have almost always clipped coupons (just like Mom), but I tell you...there are SO many ways to save with just a little bit of legwork.  And I don't mean saving $.35, I mean saving BIG.  Today (well, I mean, Saturday) I went to Publix and ONLY bought their But One Get One frees (not all of them, just what I'd need) and used coupons on a few things as well...I spent $50 and saved $50!  That means, I got $100 worth of groceries for $50.  My friend Leda turned me on to Faithful Provisions and I've already signed up to go to 2 of her seminars on couponing and such.  I can't wait!  With Steve still out of a job, I'm looking forward to seeing just how far I can make our grocery budget stretch.

Random thought #4:  I joined Weight Watchers again in January.  Well, late January that is.  I've lost a grand total of 6 pounds.  Now, before you pat me on the back too much, the fact is that I not only gained every pound back that I'd lost in the past, but I'd also put on an additional 10 pounds.  That's like 30 pounds in a year.  UGH.  So, I recommitted and these 6 pounds have come off fairly easily.  I know how to eat right.  I know how to choose the right foods.  I just love food too much.  So, I'm back in the saddle.  Also on my dreamboard, are the numbers 10, 20, 30 and 46.  46 is the magic number to get me to my goal weight.  That's a LOT of weight.  YIKERS.

Random thought #5:  For over a year now, our family has been training to launch a "south campus" of our church.  The time has FINALLY arrived.  Tomorrow (oh, yeah, TODAY) we have our soft launch of The Church at Station Hill.  Our space is not yet finished so we'll be meeting in the local middle school for a few weeks, but we should be ready to go (I hope!) by the hard launch on February 28. I have never been part of something this awesome before and I am uber-excited.  I wonder if maybe this is why I could not sleep?  Anyway, if you are in the area and want to come out, you are welcome.   We are all very excited.

Random thought #6:  I'm starting to get hungry.  Well, since this is normally the time I'm rolling out of bed and getting ready for work, I guess so. 

Well...I am sure there are more random thoughts from whence these came, but I am going to try and get just a few hours rest before JG gets out of bed.  I might even go sleep with her.  Seems like when she is in bed with us (not a normal occurrence, but on the rare occasion when one of us leaves early in the morning and she doesn't go with us) she sleeps longer.  I might get a couple hours in if I'm lucky.  I can hear Steve snoring from down the hall.  He has no idea that I've been up all night.  And he thinks I snore!

Goodnight! (or Good Morning?!)

No comments: