5.28.2007

In Honor...

While I was the only one up and the house is still dark and quiet (yes, it's 8:45am), I thought I'd blog a little...

Just wanted to say how grateful I am to all the men and women over the past many decades who have risked their lives (and some lost their lives) so that I can enjoy freedom. I think sometimes those of us who have not been touched in this way have forgotten what Memorial Day is all about. It's a great, long weekend to go out on the lake with the boat, grill out with friends and most importantly (for us) NOT WORK! But the real reason for this holiday was to take time to remember the men and women who fought for the freedom we enjoy. I might challenge you readers, as well as myself, to take a few minutes today to honor those people. I am going to sit my almost-6 year old down and explain to her why today is "stay home day" instead of camp day. And why some people are sad on this day instead of enjoying being with family. I encourage you to do the same...in your own way...honor the men and women for which this holiday is all about.

OK, now that I'm off my soapbox, on to other Taylor happenings...first, let me wish my great-nephew, Garrett, an early HAPPY 6th BIRTHDAY!!!!
He will actually be 6 on May 30th, but we always celebrate his birthday on Memorial day. Which is nice because we always have Memorial Day plans that include family and not sitting around the house being lazy! Although, don't misunderstand me...there is something to be said for sitting around being lazy! I will admit that I'm in the mood to tackle the garage, but we have to be there at noon, so I don't think I have time to get that started either before or after the party.

Congratulations! OK, I'm sure with the graduations, one would think I am congratulating all of them. However, I'm here to toot my own horn (kind of). Jenna came home from her last day of school with a Perfect Attendence Certificate! I am so proud of my little girl!

Thailand: My trip is coming up fast and there is so much still to be done. I need to make a list of stuff to pack and then figure out what I still need to get. Rachel and I are going to have lunch together this week (hopefully) and see if we can put our "to-do/to-get" lists together and split what we have to take in the way of snacks etc. I've begun to talk to Jenna about me being gone and she's really starting to understand and get sad. This is very hard for me because that bothers me more than actually being away. I'm hoping that the more we talk about it, the more she'll get used to it and when I actually leave, it won't be as hard. I know it will be harder on Steve and her while I'm gone than me because I'll be busy with my work in Thailand. I'm not going to downplay the distance effect on Steve and I either. Remember, just a few shorts weeks after my return, he'll be gone for the same number of days to Moldova.

Well, while I was typing, my sweet Jenna awoke, so I'm sure her father is not far behind. I'm going to get up from the PC and get some laundry folded and get things done around the house before we have to leave. Jenna is happy watching Arthur on the TV...

No comments: