2.13.2013

A Happy Birthday

We did indeed have a mini-celebration on Kylie’s actual birthday on January 30.  But it wasn’t much and since she really doesn’t get it this year, I wasn’t too worried about it.  Due to some scheduling conflicts, the first weekend we were able to have the party was the 9th.  It just so happened to coincide with Chinese New Year.  In hindsight, I probably should have had a CNY party, but you know, that would require too much forethought.  I was lucky to get the party planned as it was.

I decided pretty early on it would be a Doc McStuffins theme.  If you don’t know who Doc McStuffins is, you are missing out!  It’s a cute Disney show in which the little girl (Doc) has a play house clinic in her backyard and a magical stethoscope which causes her toys to come alive.  Doc’s mom is a real doctor and so Doc specializes in repairing broken toys.  The opening theme song is so catchy and Kylie loves to sing along.  But I digress.

I immediately went to Etsy to see what items might be available and knew I was in over my head.  Now the cool thing is the Disney website had free printable invitations.  I decided just to use those since they would all be thrown away.doc-mcstuffins-invitations-printable-photo-260x260-fs-0020

Then I enlisted my friend, Susan R., to make the Doc McStuffins cake.  More on that in a minute.  I managed to narrow down my Etsy purchases and ended up being TOTALLY STOKED with what I got.  I mean, y’all just look…

IMG_3932

Favor bags.  I mean, they were the absolute perfect size.  I tried to give the boys the white ones and the girls pink.  I didn’t really look at the size when I ordered, but they ended up being perfect!

IMG_3935 

Bubbles!  I mean, what 2 year old doesn’t love bubbles??  There were four colors and all personalized!  So that’s one thing in the favor bag…

IMG_3933

Doc McStuffins lollipops!!!  And again, what 2 year old doesn’t love lollipops?!?  Kylie does!  Unfortunately, because we had almost 100% attendance, Kylie didn’t get one, but she had plenty of other things!

Then one of my favorites…

IMG_3938

These little candy sleeves!  The photos don’t do them justice, but they were so stinkin’ cute!!

IMG_3940IMG_3939

Personalized front AND back!!!  They even came with the candies (although you can buy them without, I am SO glad I paid a little extra to include them!)

I can’t believe I forgot to get a picture of these, but I also had candy bar wrappers that went around Hershey bars and they were SOOOO cute. I purchased the image from Etsy and they delivered it (ahem, twice, since somehow I lost the first one) to my email.  Print off a few and then whammo!  All done.  So those were the favor bags.

I wanted a few decorative items and so I bought this banner.  It was to die for and the detail was crazy good but I didn’t love where I hung it. 

IMG_3954

2013-02-09 10.52.24

I wish I was this talented…but anyway…the last thing I got was a door hanger.  I’m not sure why I was interested in a door hanger, but I am so glad I got it because I’m going to hang it up on Kylie’s bedroom door now that the party is over.  It is just TOO CUTE not to do something with.

IMG_3952

IMG_3947

I got tons of compliments on the favor bags and decorations.  I ended up not putting a whole lot of forethought into the snacks and believe it or not, it ended up just fine.  I had 3 different kinds of popcorn, thanks to my friend Julie, grapes, goldfish crackers and then Steve bought some wings and pigs in a blanket for the adults.  It ended up being more than enough and I think everyone enjoyed the snacks.

But the hit of the party was, by far, the cake.  Y’all just check.it.out.

IMG_3959

IMG_3987

Not only did it look good, but it was DELISH!  Susan really outdid herself.  Check out some other cakes she’s done…

veggie tales

bubble guppies cakefarm cakebaby cake

You guys she’s talented and reasonable.  So if you are local and interested in checking out more of her creations, you can email her at susancrogers610 AT gmail DOT com (using symbols instead of capitalized words) and she will totally hook you up.

In the end, the party went well…IMG_3960

If you look closely, you can see the super cute Hershey bars wrapped…It was a cute party…lots of little kiddos and adults.  More on that in another post…

No comments: