10.11.2010

South Africa-Day 2

Today started with yet another delicious breakfast made by Nadine.

 We got to sleep in a little since most of the day was going to be spent sightseeing.  We had breakfast at 9am and then left The Team House at 10am.  We didn't get very far down the road before stopping to take pictures of the scenery.  It is an absolutely breathtaking country.


See that long house a little off center?  That's the Team House.


Can you guess what they are pointing at?

From here, it was on to Table Mountain where we road a cable car way up to the top.  Again, the view was absolutely breathtaking.


After Table Mountain it was on to the Waterfront area where we had lunch.  We visited the market where it is customary to barter.  I bought a few things, but I am not good with bartering and it was time for them to close.  At some point, we made a quick stop at the World Cup Stadium which was pretty cool.


After all this, it was time to head back to the Team House for dinner, but not before visiting 2 of the townships we were to be working in during the coming week.  We first drove through Overcome Heights.  There would have been no way to prepare those of us first-timers for what we were about to encounter.  There are no words to describe the poverty in this place.  The streets are narrow and rough.  Kids roam the streets, IN the streets. 
This is another township we worked in, but it gives you an idea of what we saw when we arrived.
And it wasn't just this township.  We moved on to Capricorn and there was much of the same.  We witnessed some pretty intense stuff driving through these townships.  What we experienced rocked our worlds.  I realized immediately how small my world view was.  Little did I know that God was about to bust my world wide open.  It was all part of His Master Plan.

A sentence from my journal entry that day was, "I'm not sure how to proces what I've seen or really why God has sent me here." 

And even today, I'm still not sure I know.
 
What I know is that despite this poverty, there are stories of hope. 

Of redemption.

Of joy.

Of providence.

No comments: