Another reason to give (if you haven't already)...

*Edit: This is a long post...I wrote it last night and I was so tired, but had been wanting to get it out there...I didn't even proof read it. I was going to edit it to make it shorter, but I figured I'd just add this disclaimer to the top instead.*

This post is overdue, but life has been...well, life...and I just haven't gotten around to it.

If you are wondering about the title, it's in reference to donations for our Diabetic Alert Dog from Heaven Scent Paws. Here is another reason for you to help us out, if you haven't already...

Last Wednesday, my stepmother (Bertie) received a call that her sister in law was near death (she had alzheimers and a variety of other health problems) and she needed to come quick. Lucky for her, they live just across the street. But because Daddy was home and couldn't stay alone, she was desperate for someone to come sit with Daddy so she could join her family.

I was unable to be reached because I was at work, so she called Steve, who headed right over. I was just about 90 minutes from leaving for work and had my friend Rachel with me (we commute together 2 days a week) and so he opted to go to Daddy and I would take Rachel to pick up Jenna from school and then head on to church.

About 6pm, Steve called me at church and said that his blood sugar level was kinda high, so he took extra units of insulin from his pump (which delivers a basal rate of insulin to simulate the action of the pancreas) and unfortunately, it was out and he didn't have any more with him. Not knowing how long he'd be at Daddy's, he was concerned that his levels would skyrocket without him getting that basal rate. He called a couple pharmacies and his endocrinologist to try and get an emergency supply rather than having me drive across the city to bring it to him.

After about 30 minutes, he decided he thought he'd be fine until he could leave, so I went off to class at church and he left to go get Daddy and him some dinner. And then it happened...

He was in line waiting for their food at Captain D's no more than 1/2 mile from the house. He started feeling like his blood sugar was dropping, so he began taking some of his sugar tablets to bring it up. He got the food, and pulled out on the main road.

Meanwhile, about 6:55, I texted Steve from my class at church with the words "U OK?". Don't ask me why I did that...just wanted to be sure they were OK. I didn't get an immediate response, but I didn't worry because many times he doesn't notice that he has a text and doesn't hear the phone beep. About 5 minutes later, I called him and it rang, but he didn't answer and while I thought that was a bit unusual, I didn't worry figuring he was helping Daddy get into bed or whatever.

A few seconds later, my phone rang with his "special" ring. I could tell he was driving from the background noise, but could not hear him. When I called "hello?" again, he started yelling that he'd wrecked the truck and did not know where he was. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he was having a diabetic seizure (or better yet, on the verge of coming out of it). Because he was still terribly low, he could not tell me where he was and would not pull over. Think about if you were riding with a friend in an unfamiliar part of town, fell asleep and woke up 15 minutes later and tried to figure out where you were. It was awful. And I couldn't do ANYTHING to help because I had no idea where in the world he was.

Long story short (too late!), he made it back to Daddy's without further incident. However, when he "came to", he was about 12 miles away from Daddy's with no recollection of how he got there. He did hit the retaining wall on the highway at the sharpest curve and he did it twice.

Now, the miracle of the whole story is after driving 12 miles unaware and hitting a retaining wall TWICE, he managed to keep the truck on the road and the only damage was the driver's side mirror, a small scratch on the running board (most likely can be buffed out) and the white letters on the driver's side tire were scraped off (like when you sideswipe a curb). Do NOT ask me how to explain the lack of damage (vehicular or otherwise) other than an angel was watching over him.

I know that not all my readers have the same belief in God, but I'm telling you...I'm sitting here, looking at a miracle. That's the only explanation in my mind.

Anyway, all this to say this is just another reason for us to get this dog. We are almost at our goal. If you are waiting to give, don't. Give now. Please...this could have turned out so much worse. This dog could literally save Steve's life and give him back to me and Jenna.

OK, that's enough about that. Daddy is back in the hospital with 2 "very aggressive infections". His bladder is still not working so that's become a challenge. I don't know much yet about the course of action other than antibiotics. I'll let you know when I do.

I hope you voted. I early voted a few weeks ago. And no matter whether you vote red or blue, please remember to be in prayer for the candidates and our nation...


Christy said...

Thanks for the reminder. "Life" has been happening around here, too. The envelope is now stamped and waiting to go in the mail tomorrow. Praise the Lord that Steve was not hurt!

leigh ann said...

Unbelievable. Thank you, Jesus.