2.10.2014

A Princess Needs…

I’m trying (and failing) to keep up with current events here while simultaneously going back and catching up on all that I missed while I was on hiatus.  In my post-hiatus catch-up mode, I’m still at the beach, but let me tell you about what my day was like today.

I took the day off today because I had several things I had to do and the girls had a previously scheduled dental appointment which I wanted to go to, so I just took the day.  After both girls were dropped at school, we sat down for a quiet chat about finances, decisions and our future.  Nothing major but when you have kids in the house, it’s hard to find 5 minutes to talk uninterrupted except after they are in bed, in which case… YOU ARE TOO.  Then we went to lunch as an early Valentine Day gift.  Boy, I could get used to just hanging out with him all day.  Smile

Steve went and picked up Kylie and I got Jenna from school and we met at the dentist.  This was Kylie’s 2nd visit and even though she did great back in August, that is not always an indication of how things will be this time.  I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Kylie 1

Here she is waiting on an x-ray.  The Rapunzel dress is courtesy our good friend Maribeth Johnson (ooh, since you’re here, check out her album!) whose sweet son is a friend of Kylie’s from church.  Kylie doesn’t have any dress up clothes except for her old Halloween costumes so I wasn’t sure if she’d take to this.  Well.  Not only did we take her into the dentist in it, but she wore it to school also.  Not sure where her princess crown made it off to, but she usually has one of those one as well, very much completing the ensemble.  Note the Olaf shirt (from Frozen) underneath.

jen

Here’s my big girl getting her x-ray done.  I used this photo to get Kylie to cooperate.

hello

While we were waiting for the x-ray, she kept doing this and going “hello?  hello?”  I thought I would die laughing.  She would also put her ear up to it like she was listening for something.  Unfortunately, the little x-ray slide they put in her mouth was just too big and so we will try again in 6 months for x-rays.

toothbrush

They very smartly let her pick out her own toothbrush.  No big surprise she picked out the pink one.

brusha

And then promptly laid back in all her regalia and let them brush, floss and fluoride her teeth.  She really didn’t seem to mind at all even though she looks like she does here.  She did so well!  I guess she realized that even a Princess needs her teeth brushed (which we do every night…no small feat for a cleft kiddo!)

After our day was done, I hopped in the shower.  When I got out, I saw this:

can you hear me now

“Can you hear me now?”

Why yes, those are Q-tips sticking out of both ears.  You can tell she is her daddy’s daughter because Steve has a somewhat unnatural love affair with Q-tips.   She’s a hoot, I tell ya. 

By the way, Kylie’s teeth look great!  10 on the top and 10 on the bottom.  The bottom ones are a little crookedy and there is 1-2 in her palate instead of the gum line up top but all in all, good report.  Jenna has several baby teeth still left, but they seem to be falling out, albeit slowly.  She had a cavity in the far back tooth on the bottom which we have to go back to have filled next week.  Other than that, she has perfectly straight teeth.  No braces needed.  Yes, I realize how lucky we are.  But don’t you worry…Kylie will send some orthodontist’s child to college with the amount of work she is likely to need.  Jenna also has her 12 year molars coming in…I’m hoping she has enough room in her mouth to accommodate them without messing up her straight smile.  As of now, we think everything will be fine.

And that was the way I spent my day.  More photos to come from the beach!

No comments: